Who Here Remembers ?

A thread for random nostalgic mishaps and mirth for example:

Who here remembers:

- spawning into a TDM and sending a plasma volley to the enemy base and scoring a frag before the round even began ? XD
    - Spending hours building a bot and taking it for its maiden voyage only to die in seconds when an enemy get a lucky shot on the cubes your pilot seat sat on that you thought you had protected better ? XD
    -thruster seats ? XD
    -Tesla + Nano circle-jerks when Tesla was a weapon that required heals to be replenished and was always equipped
    -hackers selling there exploits in game using bots with only 5 cubes but 20 weapons and wings stacked
    -Falling through the map forever

There are plenty of others out there you guys got any ?

PSK satellites, ejector seats, HMG bug, Mark bot (lols). Tesla heal thing was quite an episode in RC lore. The influx of cheats pre EAC was something as well, seems like FJ got the current Plasma from the old Plasma rapid fire cheat that was around for a little while. Repair bill, that was something. Flipper fails at just the wrong time, good times.
    Last edited by elarma; 05-20-2019 at 01:26 AM.

seems like FJ got the current Plasma from the old Plasma rapid fire cheat that was around for a little while.
    I wish they kept it as the pseudo-volley they experimented with a while ago, I had lots of fun with that. Alas, too many people seemed to get butthurt that their favorite spray2win weapon became 'useless'.

My memories only extend to 2016, but even then I remember gaining my first ion and putting it on my hover, but it would swing like a church bell whenever I fired the thing.

I remember building my first bot at a friend's house. It ended up being a big brown rectangle with plasma on the front top and bottom because you couldn't place them anywhere else and a few little hovers on the sides XD it was fun to bring it into test mode and drive it. Then going into your first inline matches and gaining inspiration from the other community bots. I wonder what new players feel these days...

haha I remember the pain that were repair costs. You'd join a game, fail miserably, and get bricked back to T1. But it was still enjoyable.

Even some of the gameplay bugs were fun. When the insect legs were first added with nanos, healing back legs would sometimes send you into space.

I used to main an old nano tesla sled in T10 made entirely out of TX1 cubes, and boy was it fun. You'd sneak up to an unsuspecting victim and hope they don't notice you as you poke them in the back. No ghost modules, your only threat was the spotting. I still spam q on reflex occasionally.

Remember when the Mars maps had those flat ledges along the sides? The ones where the wrecks of downed flyers would end up and get stuck for the whole round.

Thruster seats were fun too. You'd need one block an a T2 thruster and you just eject from your dead bot by holding down space. The amount of skill that was needed to properly pilot those seats back to your team and hope a medic heals you lmao. I always enjoyed seeing stuff explode and subsequently the pilot fly up into space.

I've got one enormous ego so one of my fondest memories from old R/C was beating two guys at once in a match i think it was around the time BA was first released or so, i drove what was either a tank or a really buff car... cant remember..
    I ran into one dude (back then ground units were much more common) we started a shootout, two seconds later his friends comes from the side they're both shooting but i managed to kill the first one and then his buddy, also back then you could DISARM your opponent's guns unlike this 1-gun mega crap we have now... so anyway i kill em both and someone who was spectating went like "DAMN MUZI YOU GOT SOME MAD ARMOR YOU TOOK BOTH THESE GUYS OUT"
    It's not that i never done that after time and again, but i think it was like one of the first times in the game that i got a reaction from a team-mate, plus i wasn't as experienced in the game as i am now

Did i mention i got a big ego yet?

Quote Originally Posted by elarma View Post
    Seems like FJ got the current Plasma from the old Plasma rapid fire cheat that was around for a little while. Repair bill, that was something. Flipper fails at just the wrong time, good times.
    Yeah was a bit of a shock to see something(don't know if it was a bug or hack) being implemented as a feature.

Repair costs benefited me as I got stuck in one bot and was forced to build others to Farm RoboCash(I think it was back then) some of those bots became my new weapon of choice down the line. Yet another mechanic that was just removed without trying to better balance(Cost Reduction) and completely overlooking any benefit(Mega's anyone ?).

#Edit there was a cost reduction for repair costs but it did not stop the whining so....

flipper was gold
    -Build a wheeled/Track bot and manage to flip it early on and that was your round eather way you would get killed or have to quit.
    -Or when the flipper was introduced getting stuck on terrain and having to wait 10 seconds for it to put you back on your roof. xD

Quote Originally Posted by MALCode View Post
    I wish they kept it as the pseudo-volley they experimented with a while ago, I had lots of fun with that. Alas, too many people seemed to get butthurt that their favorite spray2win weapon became 'useless'.

My memories only extend to 2016, but even then I remember gaining my first ion and putting it on my hover, but it would swing like a church bell whenever I fired the thing.
    I always preferred the earlier version of Plasma landing a volley on a flyer in motion halfway across the map was super rewarding and it felt and behaved like a Cannon back then. Did not like the round robin plasma but could I see the value in it, I just did not see why it could not be a completely new weapon cube with different effects.

Ahhh good old ION back when it was brand new and was far more terrifying than tesla at the time. You could out flank the enemy and punch holes the size of your bot into slow enemy's

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolaboy View Post
    I wonder what new players feel these days...
    Boredom......and that's if they don't rage quit.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZIMUZI View Post
    Did i mention i got a big ego yet?
    Allow me to stroke that Ego for you, back then producing a bot that could take on multiple enemy's and walk away was hugely rewarding. It was also rare to see bots that could handle that kinda punishment(Besides Gunbrella Tanks).

I learned through the school of hard knocks, many of my early 1v1 did not go my way and i would be lucky if my target was crippled by the time i died. So i started experimenting, asking advice and going out of my way to Learn the power of Tri-Force...Those were the days. By the time I hit the old T7 i was taking on multiple enemy's also and I was hooked.
    Last edited by KlinkerBottom; 05-21-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Klinkerbottom yea game sure was entirely different back then...
    and while i know we cannot go back to how things were, me and some friends opened a discord group called Robocraft Veteran wars where we're doing custom matches with t3 and t4 bots only, with NO mega weapons... (apart from possible megabots fights)
    Give it a shot for old time sake...
    https://discord.gg/uZjRQNa