Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vet/noob ratio close to 1:1. Segregate players by play time.

The biggest complaints on the forums are matchmaking in general (since it's evidently not accounting for player skill) and platoons in particular(very minor issue** ). The player count keeps dropping, but people invested in the game stay, which leads to an unfavorable vet/noob ratio, something that's only going to get worse. With matches so bad and unbalanced this is a game killing scenario If not dealt with.
    _
    What I propose is this:
    _
    1) Segregate by account creation date immediately between vets and noobs. Accounts older than say one month can't be matched against newer ones. Vets that suck better git gud, newbies and player retention are the top priority, otherwise the game dies.
    __
    2) high win-rate players graduate to vet bracket after a medium amount of games to prevent assholes from smurfing effectively. (If sealclubbers tank their win rate to remain in the noob bracket then they are not sealclubbing, are they?)
    __
    3) After x amount of hours played you graduate to vet bracket. Would take a couple of weeks to achieve for the average player.
    __
    4) (optional) platoons go on a separate queue and can only face each other whether they are vets or noobs. No more random vs platoons. Noone queueing? Go play custom or disband. Platoons should be low priority until the player count increases. Alternatively increase platoon size to 10 and make the minimum size to queue 6, and split them between teams. Make platoons about playing with friends, not about ez-mode wins.
    __
    5) (optional) hub-like mode with say 12-16 players max to screw around in when waiting to be matched (like in overwatch). If you can do SOMETHING when you wait, you can tolerate longer wait times in order to get a better match. The hub would have two zones, a combat zone (pit rules) and a showcase/test zone where you can't die (no more damage taken when death-rule % reached) so you can see how your bot breaks apart.
    __
    __
    __
    ** Platoons are either rare (matched against randoms but with long queue -> very few games played -> not likely that you would face one -> no reason to complain) or rampant (would be matched against each other most of the time since what little matchmaker is there at least tries to put platoons in the same game -> no reason to complain), not a mixture of both.
    Last edited by Lemoncello; 02-10-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemoncello View Post
    The biggest complaints on the forums are matchmaking in general (since it's evidently not accounting for player skill) and platoons in particular(very minor issue** ). The player count keeps dropping, but people invested in the game stay, which leads to an unfavorable vet/noob ratio, something that's only going to get worse. With matches so bad and unbalanced this is a game killing scenario If not dealt with.[/I]
    Seen that happen to more than one community. The one I remember the most was the Tribes 2 community.

Think however having groups of 2 should be allowed among randoms as long as they are not affiliated with any clans.
    Then again if the matchmaker were able to divide everyone up based on experience then maybe even that could be allowed.

Even I am starting to get bored with the game when time and again you go up against a clan doing, what seems to be, a daily run of ego boosting.
    Because kicking a bunch of randoms around is 99 times out of a 100 not gonna increase your skills or teamplay on any level.

#4 seems like a good idea. I don't have issue with a 2 man in the current 5 person teams. That's just my opinion on it, it would assist in queue times to allow 2 person platoons to be included in random team. Everything else seems reasonable to try out in an effort to keep this game going. I don't think 5 person Platoons fully realize, or care, what They are dojng to the game.

@FlutteringBumFlap I saw it happen to Magicka: Wizard Wars. It was a really fun f2p game but it was too oppresive for noobs once the player count started to drop. Only vets stayed, they removed matchmaker because of the low population, and then it died when the game was around 200 avg players daily (when it was no longer profitable for paradox to keep the servers on).

@Elarma Yes, forgot about 2-3man casual platoons playing together against a 5man. A fair compromise would be to make platoons 5man only.

Let's all remember that almost no one complained when they removed platoons from the top 100 competition. So there's plenty of room for reworks of this feature.

I don't see the point, you are only separating players by playtime because players are unevenly matched by irrelevant handicaps.

The more prudent option is to remove handicaps from new players joining the game.

All i see here is a partial solution to a problem that never should have existed in a PvP game. No matter what type of player base division you do, you will always have to use a skill matchmaker to make it remotely worthwhile. However the sub-division of the player base makes the player pools for each tier to small for a matchmaker to be able to deal with. So why bother with all the useless middle stuff that makes it harder to matchmake in the first place.

All i ever see is the devs trying to figure a solution for a problem they created in the first place, a problem that doesn't even need to exist. This is like cutting your hand off so you can find a mechanical solution to fix it, unless you wanted a robot hand why destroy something that works fine and more precise already?

I mean look at A.I bots populating PvP battles, the thing is so fucked and segregated already you can't even get a decent battle going. The literal only reason to play is to grind the progression system, so essentially it's not worth playing the game, it's like Fallout 76, it's just a waste of space inventory management system where you can make a few things look cool, unlock some stuff to satisfy a numb mind addicted to be given rewards for spending mere time. Ultimately the PvP competition is worthless on the grander scale and you just repeat the same shit over and over.

On a PvE scale this game has no story or objective, you literally just keep playing to build a bigger bot and that's it. You reach "end game" which is just vets seal clubbing non-vets or reapeating the same tiny half completed single player campaigns. Robocraft game has no direction, i can't even really describe what type of game this is cos it's sure as shit not a PvP, nor is it even close to being a worthwhile PvE.

Under the hood there's great potential, but i'm wondering whether it's even worth sticking around for either anymore.
    Last edited by mikelaw; 02-11-2019 at 11:34 AM.

hello I give you a quick reminder noob means be beginner or no one. so stopped complaining about useless words and that make you think like a word that you but the end of the world at the games for the moment this post m'allaire assé not mature

And I remind you the platoon is basic at the beginning of the game to play with it's friend and he had no problem be invented be you victimized yourself on a robot game.

As the beginner of this thread said, platoons ruin the game of the individual players. If players want to platoon, it's ok, but then they could play against other platoons only. Result? Much more equal games. A player can feel himself/herself as a useful player and there's some importance with everything he/she do in battle. No more stupid "gg" after massacres. Does it really matter how you play if game ends 100-0? What good is in these kind of one sided games? Winning? Great. Grow up. I may be an idiot but want equal teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelaw View Post
    I don't see the point, you are only separating players by playtime because players are unevenly matched by irrelevant handicaps.

The more prudent option is to remove handicaps from new players joining the game.

All i see here is a partial solution to a problem that never should have existed in a PvP game. No matter what type of player base division you do, you will always have to use a skill matchmaker to make it remotely worthwhile. However the sub-division of the player base makes the player pools for each tier to small for a matchmaker to be able to deal with. So why bother with all the useless middle stuff that makes it harder to matchmake in the first place.

All i ever see is the devs trying to figure a solution for a problem they created in the first place, a problem that doesn't even need to exist. This is like cutting your hand off so you can find a mechanical solution to fix it, unless you wanted a robot hand why destroy something that works fine and more precise already?

I mean look at A.I bots populating PvP battles, the thing is so fucked and segregated already you can't even get a decent battle going. The literal only reason to play is to grind the progression system, so essentially it's not worth playing the game, it's like Fallout 76, it's just a waste of space inventory management system where you can make a few things look cool, unlock some stuff to satisfy a numb mind addicted to be given rewards for spending mere time. Ultimately the PvP competition is worthless on the grander scale and you just repeat the same shit over and over.

On a PvE scale this game has no story or objective, you literally just keep playing to build a bigger bot and that's it. You reach "end game" which is just vets seal clubbing non-vets or reapeating the same tiny half completed single player campaigns. Robocraft game has no direction, i can't even really describe what type of game this is cos it's sure as shit not a PvP, nor is it even close to being a worthwhile PvE.

Under the hood there's great potential, but i'm wondering whether it's even worth sticking around for either anymore.

Right now we have pointless tiers (you can rush to T5 by playing empty T1 games against bots since TP aren't tiered) dividing the community, and non existant matchmaker.

Rstricting platoons has been done before. Segregating newbies from vets as well (the 5 level noob zone that you got out of in 20 minutes during the crates + boosts era).

What I propose isn't new or revolutionary. I just want 2 brackets instead of multiple ranks and tiers. New players and old players. And for the new player bracket to last longer so they get hooked on the game and probably spend money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemoncello View Post
    Right now we have pointless tiers (you can rush to T5 by playing empty T1 games against bots since TP aren't tiered) dividing the community, and non existant matchmaker.

Rstricting platoons has been done before. Segregating newbies from vets as well (the 5 level noob zone that you got out of in 20 minutes during the crates + boosts era).

What I propose isn't new or revolutionary. I just want 2 brackets instead of multiple ranks and tiers. New players and old players. And for the new player bracket to last longer so they get hooked on the game and probably spend money on it.
    ]

Yea but what's the hook? A good deep strategic PvP game climbing a proper ladder of skilled players or some reward based spend all my time grinding thing?

The idea that new players aren't as good as vet players is silly. Good gamers don't take that long to get good, it's just natural skills blooming. Things like strategic thinking doesn't need a grind, neither does shit like improving accuracy. Nothing PvP-wise needs a grind and even by having it causes all this shit.

I'm just saying the devs and over half this community have been looking at the wrong stuff if improvement to PvP environment is the goal. The PvP environment keeps getting worse and worse the more the focus goes to single player progression and the idea that players HAVE to start small and be stuck behind a totally arbitrary levelling system in order to get to the REAL competition is truly dumbfounding.

I don't necessarily disagree with what your saying, i'm just saying without a dumb as fuck progression system hindering the PvP environment, none of the solutions people keep having to come up with to fix the issue even need be thought about. It's just trying to fix issues that never should have existed in a PvP game, which is inevitably impossible.

There can never be balance when the entire foundation is built on a slope! Robocraft is a tilted building on the edge of a cliff face, it's only a matter of time till the ocean claims it.

What you say is true, but what was the hook in 2014 robocraft? The core of the game hasn't changed, you build your own bot (or download one, instead of copying a youtube tutorial or reverse engineering something that killed you from a screenshot like back in the day), you shoot other bots, you live or die, collect reward, get parts, repeat.

Total newbies need a real safe-zone to learn the ropes since there's no tutorial, and vets don't want to play with total newbs because of random one-sided matches. Segregation is a win-win scenario.