Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

[Balance Suggestion] Power Generators

I had a shower thought about Robocraft's balance, and my mind kept wandering to Energy itself. What if energy generation and consumption was a balancing point in building your Robot? Here's how it would work:

First, set the base Energy regen rate to 0, requiring you to use Generators to give your Robot the energy it needs to do things.

Next, have every movement part spend 100 energy per second when active.

Now, we add the Generators. 4 types of Generators will be available, all at T0 and have a RR of 1:

• Solar Panel: 10 CPU and only 20 kg each. Each panel generates 250 Energy per second, has 5000 HP, and takes up a 5x9x1 area. They must be able to see the sun to generate power.
    • Combustion Engine: 50 CPU in a 3x3x3 space. Has 100,000 HP and generates 3000 Energy per second. It requires Fuel Tanks to operate and weighs 1000kg.
    • Turbine: Identical to the Combustion Engine, but has a 1x9x1 profile, allowing aircraft to fit it better.
    • Fuel Tank: A 1x4x1 block that costs 4 CPU and has 1000 HP. One fuel tank provides one Engine or Turbine with 1 minute of power. Fuel tanks are unique in that their mass starts at 430kg each and over time, drop to 30kg each as fuel is burned.
    • Nuclear Generator: 300 CPU, 10,000kg and generates 5000 Energy in a 5x5x3 space. It has 500,000 HP however, making it useful for tanks. They don't require fuel tanks and don't care about EMP attacks.

If this were to go live, here's what I expect would happen:

1. Robots would be built smarter, as the Generators would need to be protected at all costs.

2. Mechs, tanks, and cars become more popular for their energy efficiency.

3. Planes with few or no thrusters gain an advantage over planes that spam thrusters

4. Movement part spam dies, while drones gain an exploitable weakness (hard to protect solar panels)

cool idea

but FJ likely would want to keep the game simple

Agreed, but perhaps a much more simplified version, say a standard energy generator per Tier. Wud actually be great if u ask me. Wud make it worth building something large and also wud fix the problem of drones and movement spam...
    If weapons can have a limit to their fire rate, then why not movement parts too? right?

1) What happens when an enemy destroys your solar panel?
    2) What happens when you sit under a stone where the sun can not shine on you?

Quote Originally Posted by statichargefield View Post
    Agreed, but perhaps a much more simplified version, say a standard energy generator per Tier. Wud actually be great if u ask me. Wud make it worth building something large and also wud fix the problem of drones and movement spam...
    If weapons can have a limit to their fire rate, then why not movement parts too? right?
    herrmmm....

!!
    maybe...
    yeah....
    Power generators for each Tier

T1: takes up a 1x1x1 space, 10 cpu cost and is the same hp, and weight as a light cube, provides energy for bots up to 100 cpu
    T2: takes up a 1x2x1 space, 25 cpu cost, same weight, and hp as 2x med cubes, and provides energy for 350 cpu
    T3: takes up a 2x2x1 space, 50 cpu cost, and is the same weight a and hp as 4x Heavy cubes, provides energy for 500 cpu
    T4: takes up a 2x2x2 space, 100 cpu cost and has the same hp, and weight as 8x compact cubes, provides energy for 1,000 cpu
    T5: *basically the current power module* 3x3x3 space, same cpu cost, same hp, and weight stats as pow module, provides energy for 2,000 cpu
    (Megabots completely ignore the energy to cpu, but do gain extra energy from reactors placed in the mega)
    now... you can still build bots WITHOUT these energy generators, but you will have less weapon energy available for your consumption (as that power is used to keep your robot cpu)
    this also lets people build tanky, have a reactor blown out, and still fight, and escape,
    now.. if you have more reactors than needed, your bot gains extra energy, allowing you to fight more, and deal more damage (at the cost of tankiness, for you used up possible extra cpu for armor)

Quote Originally Posted by hard1disk View Post
    1) What happens when an enemy destroys your solar panel?
    2) What happens when you sit under a stone where the sun can not shine on you?
    1: You lose the Energy generation that the wrecked Solar panels provide

2: You lose all energy generation

I’d love to see stuff like this added to the game. Hopefully the devs have learned thier lesson and and will add some building complexity to thier game instead of dumbing it down.

I think those dimensions are a bit too large though. Would need some smaller but less efficient options like, 1x1 battery’s or something for players that don’t want to rebuild all thier bots.

Also think you would need a small passive energy gain as it would be pretty frustrating being totally defenceless if your gens get blown.

Quote Originally Posted by Oventoaster955 View Post
    1: You lose the Energy generation that the wrecked Solar panels provide
    2: You lose all energy generation
    So, if i sit under a rock, it's more dramatic than if i'd find myself in front of an enemy.
    And a question: "lose the Energy generation" it means i can not move from that place, but i can only shoot in enemies?

Quote Originally Posted by K1RYU View Post
    herrmmm....

!!
    maybe...
    yeah....
    Power generators for each Tier

T1: takes up a 1x1x1 space, 10 cpu cost and is the same hp, and weight as a light cube, provides energy for bots up to 100 cpu
    T2: takes up a 1x2x1 space, 25 cpu cost, same weight, and hp as 2x med cubes, and provides energy for 350 cpu
    T3: takes up a 2x2x1 space, 50 cpu cost, and is the same weight a and hp as 4x Heavy cubes, provides energy for 500 cpu
    T4: takes up a 2x2x2 space, 100 cpu cost and has the same hp, and weight as 8x compact cubes, provides energy for 1,000 cpu
    T5: *basically the current power module* 3x3x3 space, same cpu cost, same hp, and weight stats as pow module, provides energy for 2,000 cpu
    (Megabots completely ignore the energy to cpu, but do gain extra energy from reactors placed in the mega)
    now... you can still build bots WITHOUT these energy generators, but you will have less weapon energy available for your consumption (as that power is used to keep your robot cpu)
    this also lets people build tanky, have a reactor blown out, and still fight, and escape,
    now.. if you have more reactors than needed, your bot gains extra energy, allowing you to fight more, and deal more damage (at the cost of tankiness, for you used up possible extra cpu for armor)
    Quote Originally Posted by hard1disk View Post
    So, if i sit under a rock, it's more dramatic than if i'd find myself in front of an enemy.
    And a question: "lose the Energy generation" it means i can not move from that place, but i can only shoot in enemies?
    @Hard1Disk ive re-did this person's idea in a different way that would most likely fit better into the game, plus not making generators mandatory on bots :P

I love your idea, but I have a serious issue with your choice of generator parts. I'm not a big fan of the Robocraft lore, but one of the more coherent and interesting parts of it is the miraculous resource called Protonium. This has been a plot device and a central source of conflict in the Robocraft universe, and according to factual evidence from Battle Arena, Protonium is such a potent energy source that a full cache of it can maintain the power for an orbital annihilation weapon to target and fire precisely at an enemy base almost at the same position as the allied base, and do so while channeling said power up into orbit from the ground across the full height of the planet's atmosphere, so there would be no need for obsolete things like solar power or combustion engines.

But based on the same concept I could very well imagine some kind of Protonium Batteries, or much rather Protonium Relays that provide a constant output of energy for the robots that equip them. If it's anything like real-life protonium (material with proton + antiproton based elements), materials using this element are about 1.5 times heavier and may behave very differently from those having electrons, which could be used as an explanation for the costs and risks related to the Protonium robot parts.